Steve Smith, CPA, JD
- Steve joined BMSS, LLC in 1994 and currently serves as the senior member of the firm’s tax practice group.
- He predominantly focuses on client service needs in the areas of S corporations and partnership taxation with an emphasis on transactional work encompassing the life cycle of a business: formation, ongoing operations, mergers and acquisitions, dispositions and liquidations, and the impact on the owners of the business.
- Steve has 35 years of experience and has worked with all industries represented by Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith.
- He is involved with the tax planning team at BMSS Wesson Wealth Solutions, LLC.
- University of Alabama
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting – summa cum laude
Professional Designations & Affiliations:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Juris Doctor (JD)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) – Tax Division
- Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (ASCPA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Taxation Division
- Real Property Trust & Estate Law Division
- Alabama Bar Association
- Annual Federal Tax Clinic
- Past President – 2015
- Board Member
- Birmingham Tax Forum
- Past President (2006)
- Former Board Member
- Arlington Study Group (Estate Planning Professional Group)
- University of Alabama Alumni Association
- Beta Alpha Psi
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Steve currently resides in Mountain Brook with his wife, Robin.
- They have three daughters, one granddaughter, one dog and three granddogs.
- In his free time, Steve enjoys fishing, kayaking, sporting clays, reading, exercising and small woodworking projects.