Recent News Updates:
- April 3, 2020 – Gov. Kay Ivey issues stay-at-home order effective Saturday. A copy of the statewide order can be found here.
MARCH 27TH & PRIOR
On March 27th, President Trump signed into law the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”)
March 27th – Alabama Governor Kay Ivey closes all non-essential businesses statewide until April 17th.
March 26 – Senate Passes $2.2 Trillion Bill to Support Economy During Virus Pandemic
March 25th – Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin signed a Shelter In Place order to begin immediately and remain in effect until April 3 at 12 am. Here’s what it means.
March 23th – Alabama Governor Kay Ivey Signs Proclamation Delaying State Tax Filings
On Friday, March 20, 2020, the IRS extended the tax filing deadline from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020.
President Trump Signs the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 the Senate passed the Families First CoronavirusResponse Act (FFCRA), after which the bill was signed into law by the President.
On Tuesday, March 17, 2020, Medicare expanded coverage for Telemedicine nationwide to help seniors with health problems stay home to avoid COVID-19 coronavirus. Telemedicine allows patients to make virtual visits to their doctors using technology such as Skype and FaceTime from the comfort of their own home.
Over the past week, Congress has passed and continues to work on stimulus packages to help alleviate economic pressurecaused by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.These packages include provisions for:
The expansion of emergency family and medical leave and sick pay
The implementation of payroll tax credits for qualifying employers
Potential stimulus payments for qualifying individuals
Potential loan guarantees for certain industries affected by the current pandemic as well as small businesses
On March 13, 2020, the Supreme Court of Alabama suspended all in-person courtroom proceedings through April 16, 2020.However, certain in-person proceedings may still be available for proceedings related to (i) protection from abuse matters; (ii) emergency child custody and protection orders; (iii) emergency mental health orders; (iv) emergency protection of elderly or vulnerable persons matters; (v) and other exempted proceedings.
Get the Facts:
- Centers for Disease Control Coronavirus FAQs
- CDC Interim Guide for Businesses and Employers
- World Health Organization COVID-19 Resources
- Alabama Public Health Department
- Jefferson County Department of Health Notification
- SBA Disaster Assistance in Response to the Coronavirus
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Interactive Map
- Perspectives On Coronavirus from Eventide CIO Finny Kuruville, MD, PHD. [Video]
First Things First Family Resources:
- How to Stay Positive During the Unknown [VIDEO]
- What to Do With Your Children When They’re Home From School
- How to Deal with Stressful Situations in Your Marriage
- How to Take Care of Yourself So You Can Be There for Others
Grocery Delivery Services:
- Publix Grocery Delivery
- Kroger Grocery Delivery
- Wal-Mart Grocery Delivery
- Amazon Prime Now Grocery Delivery
Food Delivery Services:
- How Prepared is Your Business for Coronavirus? from Abacus Technologies
- Stay connected with friends and family through Zoom online videoconferencing. Don’t know how to use Zoom? Never fear, there are many resources available on their site and here on YouTube.
- Don’t neglect exercise when quarantined. The popular app MyFitnessPal has many resources for at home exercise.
- Popular author Seth Godin’s Akimbo Virtual Coworking community
- Listen to Biblical meditations. Sleep better and stress less with Christ using the Abide App. Try a sample with this Coronavirus Healing Prayer
- Audiobook service Audible is providing many children’s titles for free during the pandemic.
- holastic’s Free Learn at Home Program
- Khan Academy Free Learning Schedules for School Closures [Google Doc]
- Crash Course YouTube Channel
Tips for Working at Home:
- Surviving COVID-19 by Drs Karim I. Budhwani and Matthew Might
- COVID-19–In Perspective by Bruce Irwin, MD